5 Reasons Why Your Annual Well-Woman Exam So Important
- It is your chance to bond a trusting relationship with all your doctors. Your annual visits will keep your doctor abreast of your body and any changes that may indicate that something is not quite right.
- Your questions will be answered thoughtfully and completely. The internet is a wonderful resource but it’s also full of conflicting information.
- Be on the forefront of modern medical science. The rapid evolution of technology has changed the medical playing field, from diagnostic tests and treatments to new innovations in contraception and birth control options.
- Get up-to-date on health screenings and vaccinations. At your well-woman checkups, you’ll have the option to be screened for a variety of health conditions depending on your age, family medical history and lifestyle habits. This includes screening for sexually transmitted diseases.
- You’ll know you and your baby are in good hands. Forming a relationship with a doctor means you will feel 100% comfortable, ready to make the switch from preventative care to prenatal care and postnatal care.
Looking for a doctor with whom you can feel 100% comfortable and trust to provide high-quality healthcare at every stage of your life? Schedule a consultation for Women’s Health. We look forward to a long and prosperous relationship.
The doctors at Sydney Premier Medical & Health Centre offer Women’s health checks, and are dedicated to managing health issues thoroughly in a comfortable confidential setting.
Consultations may cover family planning, contraceptive advice, pregnancy care, fertility advice, health screening including pap smears, breast examinations & sexual health screening.
It is recommended that all women aged 18 and over attend their GP every 2 years for a Women’s Health Check.
Please ensure you advise our friendly receptionist if you require a pap smear or have several medical conditions to discuss with the doctor so we may allow for a longer consultation.
This test involves taking a small sample of cells from the cervix to be tested for cell changes. While a little uncomfortable, the pap test is quick and simple, and allows for the detection of cell changes which can then be treated. All women who have ever been sexually active in their lifetimes need to have regular pap tests, even if they are no longer sexually active. Women are generally screened from the ages of 18 through to age 70. Please make a long appointment for a pap smear and when booking online please write in the comments box that it is for a pap smear so that the front staff can book a long appointment accordingly.
During a Women's Health Check, a breast examination is also conducted. Once women turn 50 years of age, mammogram screening is also arranged at this time.
In women who feel that it is relevant to them, sexually transmitted disease screening can be conducted during the consultation. As STDs can occur without the woman experiencing symptoms, screening is offered as part of a women's health check, as is a discussion about safe sex practices.
Women are also invited to discuss other matters that may be of concern to them. These may include:
- Contraceptive Options
- Mood disorders or symptoms of anxiety and depression
- Other preventative health measures such as blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes checks.
Well Women Checks
Get peace of mind with an overall check-up on your health by the doctor of your choice. Not only is this a great general check-up, but it also allows us to pick up on any early warning signs for a variety of illnesses. The first visit is a standard consult with the doctor. Well Woman Checks will require few separate visits to complete the full check up and tests. Your ‘Well Woman Check’ will include:
- Blood pressure test
- Heart check
- Blood sugar level test
- Height and weight check
- Thyroid check
- Breast examination (plus referral for mammogram, if appropriate)
- Pap smear (will require separate long appointment - fees apply)
- STD check (if appropriate)
- Urine check onsite
- Expert advice regarding “lifestyle”, including smoking, alcohol and drug use (if appropriate)
- Referral for cholesterol check, FBC and other tests (if appropriate)
- Pathology onsite
If an ECG test is required, there will be an additional charge (and are eligible for Medicare REBATES). There may be extra costs involved for few tests and the doctor will advise you accordingly.
To find out more about Women's Health services in the Sydney CBD, please contact Sydney Premier Medical Centre.